Monday, October 1, 2012

#39 Grandpa's Sunset Roses


#39: Grandpa's Sunset Roses
Finished: 9/30/12
Techniques: Machine embroidery, machine stitches, applique
Size: 14 1/2" x 13 1/2"

I was inspired by a new book I got from the public library, Creative Uses for Decorative Stitches by Karen Linduska. I used several of the techniques listed in her book to create this mini-quilt.

I've been remembering my grandfather's rose garden back in Maryland. When we were growing up, we would visit my grandparents' home and I loved walking through the maze of roses. My favorites were the yellow, orange and pick roses he grew. I don't know the actual name of those roses, but I called them sunset roses because of their colors.

I used the machine embroidery unit on my sewing machine and the roses design that came with it. I find that I don't often use the embroidery unit, but this project was a good opportunity. I added other machine stitches in the form of leaves and greenery. The portion of the mini-quilt to the left is done with  machine stitches sewn close together, as described in the Linduska book. It represents the maze or rows of roses of my grandpa's garden. The individual portions were sewn separately and appliquéd onto the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment