Wednesday, April 4, 2012

#13 Mariner's Compass


#13: Mariner's Compass
Finished: 4/1/12
Techniques: Paper piecing, applique
Size: 12 1/2" x 12 1/2"

Description: A more traditional mini-quilt this time. I've often admired the mariner's compass design especially when the spikes have two values of the same color, giving them some sense of dimension. I have several colors of the mottled fabric, so I could create sort of a color wheel design too.

I drew out the design myself and used the paper-piecing technique to piece the compass together. It allowed me to have very nice sharp points on the spikes. The gold center was appliquéd on after the rest of the piecing. I like paper-piecing a lot and have done several blocks using that method. I also particularly enjoy creating the designs myself.

I usually like to put bright colors against a black background - I like the effect. However I decided to try a white background instead. It looks OK, but the white I chose was a little too lightweight, and some of the seams of color come through as you can see from the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment