Thursday, March 29, 2012

#12 Aquarium


#12: Aquarium
Finished: 3/25/12
Techniques: Raw-edge appliqué, machine stitches.
Size: 23" x 18"

backing
Description: This is late in posting, but I did actually finish this mini-quilt last week. I used a variety of machine stitches to apply narrow strips of blues, purples, and blue-green strips from my stash to create the water. In retrospect, the variety of machine stitches detracts from the scene, and were I to do this again, I would stick with one simple stitch to attach them. I used green strips for the seaweed, and attached them using an open flower stitch. I also used the open flower stitch by itself where extra quilting was needed. The fish were starched and cut from fish fabric I once used as curtains in my bathroom, then stitched into place using invisible thread. I also used the fish fabric for the backing, shown at right.

I also added a couple of turtles from a batik, and if you'll notice some of the blue strips of water are batiks with dolphins on them. None of the strips were large enough to contain whole dolphins, so I used them as background.

I wasn't sure if the blues in the water would be too dark or distracting for the design, but the brightness of the fish seem to compensate and they stand out ok. The turtles are more subtle and I like that contrast.

No comments:

Post a Comment