Sunday, March 11, 2012

#10 Wanting for Spring


#10: Wanting for Spring
Finished: 3/11/12
Techniques: Pieced background, Raw-edge appliqué, mitered borders, free-motion quilting
Size: 18 x 19 1/4"

Description: I am really ready for spring! If only the weather would cooperate. So I created a cheery little scene to help me through this last part of winter.  I pieced the background with various scraps of yellow. I didn't do any planning for this. I simply started pieced little pieces together and sewed those to bigger pieces, etc, until I had a large enough canvas to work with. Then I appliquéd flowers from a large print fabric on top and stitched them down.

Framing the scene is a wood-grain fabric left over from a bookshelf quilt I made years ago for some friends of mine. I mitered the corners - a new technique for me. In the past, I've always done squared off corners. It wasn't as difficult as I'd imagined and it came out very well, I think. The effect is a wooden picture frame, or perhaps a window frame.

The central scene was quilted on the diagonal, but the frame, or border was quilted with a free-motion technique following the wood-grain of the fabric. I don't particularly enjoy free-motion quilting, but maybe I just need more practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment