Monday, February 27, 2012

#8 Doodling with Thread


#8: Doodling with Thread
Finished: 2/26/12
Techniques: Thread Painting
Size: 18 x 23"

Description: All the color you see here is embroidery thread on a solid black background. I have so many great stitches on my machine that it seems a shame not to use them, so I outlined a basic shape onto water-soluble stabilizer and filled in the spaces with a variety of stitches. Like doodling on paper except with a sewing machine. And, of course, lots of color! I mainly used stitches that were decried as "antique" or "antique embroidery" because they are ones that double up (or even triple or quadruple up) on the thread coverage and therefore show up better on the mini-quilt. I also used some cross-stitching designs and MAXI stitches along the way. Sometimes the stitches gave me trouble and didn't turn out the way I wanted. Or because I was using the stitching as 'quilting', the bulk of the batting got in the way sometimes. I usually tested the stitches on scraps before using them in the mini-quilt, but not always.

I'm particularly happy with the way the yellow circle came out. That was a slow process because I had to turn the quilt constantly. Not everything was perfect, but the overall effect is great.

It was a fun quilt to do, but I was surprised by the amount of time it took to finished. I didn't think just stitching would be so time-consuming, but some of those antique embroidery stitches take quite a long time to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment