Monday, May 28, 2012

#21 Dresden Plate






#21: Dresden Plate
Finished: 5/27/12
Techniques: Dresden Plate design, Stitch in the ditch, Blanket stitch, Applique, Satin stitch
Size: 15 1/2" x 15 1/2"

Description:
A traditional mini-quilt this week. The Dresden Plate design is one that I haven't tried before, but I found it pretty easy to do. The "blades" of the plate are from different floral calico prints I have. There are 20 blades, each a different print. I used a template found in a book on Dresden Plate designs - it's more or less a trapezoidal shape. Making the peaks in the blades was easy - simply fold the blade in half and sew across the top. Once you turn the fabric to the right side, the peak forms automatically. Dresden Plate designs don't have to have peaks; you can make the blades with flat tops or rounded curved tops too, but I like the peaked look. And besides, those other tops require turning the fabric under, whereas the peaks are turned under automatically because of the way they are stitched.

Once all 20 blades are sewn together, you lay the whole thing on background fabric and applique into place. I then cut out a circle of the background fabric and satin stitched to the center of the plate. I stitched in the ditch around each blade, and used a blanket stitch in yellow around the outer edge of the plate. I was amazed that the 20 blades came together into the circle shape and laid flat onto the background. I was sure there would be too much or too little fabric somewhere so that it wouldn't lay flat. I would imagine that a very accurate 1/4" seam would be quite important as would accurate cutting of the blades. I must have done all right, because it lay beautifully onto the background.

Choosing the background was tricky, because I didn't want a solid fabric, but did want the blades to show well. The fabric I chose was a bit unconventional - it was a pale pink geometric print and it's a polyester! It was a bit heavier that the cottons I normally use for quilting, but the hue and design were just right, so why not?

I can see making a whole quilt with this design, with maybe some sashing pieces between blocks. It would make a great scrappy quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment