Sunday, December 2, 2012

#48 Advent Calendar


#48: Advent Calendar
Finished: 11/30/12
Techniques: Pockets, Fussy Cutting, Machine Stitches
Size: 23 x27"

Description:  A couple of months ago, my friends in the CC Quilters group surprised and delighted me with gifts of several Christmas fabrics from their stashes. Adding those to my own Christmas fabrics, it didn't take me too long to come up with the idea of creating an Advent Calendar with pockets for goodies. I just had to wait for the beginning of December.

I researched Advent Calendars and found that the numbers vary: 24, 25, 26, 31 or 32, depending on what you are counting down to. The most common number is 24, so that's what I went with. I sketched out several ways to lay out 24 squares and I liked this pattern the best. I fussy-cut the 22 different pocket fabrics in rectangles and folded them over for smooth tops of the pockets. (There were 22 pocket fabrics instead of 24 because I was able to fussy-cut one fabric three different ways. Can you tell which one?) The next step was to stitch on the numbers, which I did with a satin stitch with tapered ends. I then sewed borders around each pocket and sewed them together in rows, with a white print to carry out to the edges. Binding was done with the cute candy cane fabric one of the ladies provided. Quilting was done in white thread with  a fancy machine stitch.

This was an easy one to sew, and I love it because it is so festive and because my friends thought to do something so nice for me. Thanks, ladies! And the best part is, I still have fabric leftover.

No comments:

Post a Comment